Brand – Company Naming
Your company’s name is important. Let’s think this through.
Your company’s name will be with your forever… at least for a long time, we hope! Of course you want a name that is original and that you like the sounds of, but even more important, you want it to work for you – not against you!
Works for you
- Easy to pronounce and spell
- Sounds good when said aloud
- Conveys some meaning
- You own (or could own) the .com domain name
- Sounds catchy or is well-received by your audience (test it out!)
Works against you
- Hard to spell or pronounce
- Very similar to an existing brand/company
- Has no relevance or meaning to your brand, industry or market
- Has a negative alternate meaning or connotation (in another language/country)
How do I come up with a good name?
There are various strategies to help you come up with a good name for your business. Here’s our tips.
- Compile a list of key words (like we discuss in Brand Messaging)
- Use a tool like Bust-A-Name for help with brainstorming
- Or contact us and we’ll help with the brainstorming!
- Narrow down your list to your top 5 choices. Just keep eliminating!
- Double-check that the domains and social accounts are available.
- Run the options by a focus group or appropriate people in your network.
- Make a final choice!